Sunday, March 23, 2014

To be (improved) or not to be (improved).

That really is the question.

Wednesday past was tune-up day. I'm probably being a bit paranoid but when you have these beeps and peeps fired at you, and you have to say whether things sound better now... I do wonder if I'm making a fool of myself. Saying 'yes, that's better than before'... when it's really just the bloody same!? It's hard actually, as the beeps set my tinnitus off big time so did I really hear that beep or...?

However, adjustments were made and the previous settings were moved to the 2nd programme button, so I could return to that if needed. Last time, I didn't switch more than once, just to try it. This time, I keep checking to see if maybe the last one was indeed better than this one. I think maybe it is. It's louder without being annoying and although the tinkles are still there, it doesn't have the boom/pop noises at low levels. I know the idea is that your brain adjusts eventually but it doesn't seem to be moving yet this time around so I think I'll opt for last settings... last before this one that is. Of course adjustments are made according to what I say when they're adjusting things but like I said, it's not easy. Anyway... will continue to check back now and then and we'll see what gets said at next appointment in a fortnight.

Thursday past was a tiring one. First a hearing test (also setting my tinnitus off big time). There is some remaining hearing in the left ear but basically of use to man nor beast. Next came a chat with the CI group's social worker which was funny in a way because when she asked how things had gone and how they were now, I just said all things positive. If J hadn't been there she still wouldn't know I'd had any problems at all! Was totally forgetting to mention the bruising, the black eye, the dizziness that kept on for 10 days... my memory is shocking. Not that I've forgotten it all entirely, but that it didn't occur to me when specifically asked. Eejit.

It may also have been the idea of 'social worker... argh'. Something akin to 'psychiatrist... argh' or 'psychologist... argh'. You talk to them, you keep thinking 'am I saying it right?', 'am I saying too much?', 'should I say this at all?'... or is that just me?! These professions tend to set me on the back foot... so to speak... and yet they know which buttons to press, which questions to put. Oh well, I feel that way anyway. But we survived, dignity intact and all very pleasant :)

Next was the tiring bit, with the speech therapist. First, I had to face a stereo speaker and repeat the words spoken - CI in only, then HA in only. Then I had to face the therapist and repeat phrases she spoke aloud, after reading a synopsis of the story she was reading from (so I more or less knew what she was talking about). She spoke the phrases behind the paper she was reading from. Then another two stories, this time using a stopwatch to check how long I took over things. That was certainly harder but I think I did not too badly. Still to get the results as by this time, not surprisingly, I was actually shattered. Strange but true.

We have some 'homework' again... similar to the tests, with some daft story or other about a princess marrying one of three brothers blabla (HAH!) and although I know the story it's correct to keep trying it repeatedly so, that's what we'll do.

So, still in love with my CI that's for sure. I pity those without one! I love the way it just pops onto my head. I love that you can get stickers to gussy it up. I love the improvement to my hearing, that's for sure! I also went to Almere's deaf club last week to show it off to my friends there. They are such a nice bunch and always welcome me like the prodigal when I turn up still not using enough signs (shame on me after having lessons!). They're all very happy for me with my CI too and those there that also have one were fascinated by the Rondo as it's still new and not well known. I love watching them conversing and trying to follow the discussion. I'm no good at it but also find that strange as you can 'listen in' to folks (if you know signs) even when not taking part. Different etiquette I suppose, although of course, hearing folks listen in to others too. I will continue to visit now and then as they're such a nice bunch and always make me laugh.

Listen via the links below for a fairly accurate interpretation of how things sound through one at first. It's already better (for me) and it's getting better all the time
tralala



  • Speech (normal): Fragment uit het JASMIN-spraakcorpus/upload/278353_391_1235467348061-Spraakfragment_normaal.wav 
  • Speech (CI): Fragment uit het JASMIN-spraakcorpus/upload/278354_391_1235467418987-Spraakfragment_CI.wav 
  • Music (normal): Jess – It’s not gonna be me /upload/278280_391_1235388450903-Muziekfragment_normaal.wav 
  • Music (CI): Jess – It’s not gonna be me /upload/278281_391_1235388599545-Muziekfragment_CI.wav 
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Pleased to hear if you have any comment...keep it clean, I will not be monitoring things.