Sunday, March 02, 2014

A short blether

Just because it really struck me today.

I regularly forget my glasses when I take Luna out first thing ('first thing' being not necessarily in the morning, just when I surface :) ). I do not like it one bit but tend to just persevere rather than go back for them when I finally wake up and notice. Spec wearers will know what I mean, you just can't see as far as you should be able to and it's not nice, even if livable. I am after all only away for half an hour, tops. If I was going to be away longer I would have to go back for them... it's one reason why I have them on a chain around my neck like the grammy I am. I know I'd lose them otherwise.

Today I didn't wear my CI as my hair was still wet from my shower and you mustn't let it get wet at all. So I only wore the hearing aid on my right ear. It's such a beautiful spring-like day, bright and sunny. My specs are on, my usual one hearing aid is in... off we go!

Well it was nothing short of horrendous! How on earth have I lived? I felt totally bereft. Yes, I could still hear things, just not much. Where are the birds? Somebody take this pillow off my head please! Of course I did wear two before, but I was (almost) used to wearing just one, since the operation. It's now practically incomparable!

The CI doesn't make things louder as such, it's not like when I use a different programme on my hearing aid that turns up the volume somewhat, and besides, louder is not generally clearer (a mistake usually made by everyone you speak to who talks louder instead of more articulated). It's just, well... richer with the CI. More 'normal'. It's hard to explain really but the quality of sound I'm getting is so much better, despite the continued 'tinkles' by certain sounds.

J asked why I need to wear my HA at all so I tested the difference, with and without. With is definitely better actually, gives a more rounded sound. He then posed the question 'if you had to choose, just HA, or just CI, which would you have?' Well there is no contest - CI all the way!

I will be getting my HA settings adjusted too (I think?). I'm due new ones but perhaps these can do with adjustment for a while yet. This also means I will have a spare one for the right ear. When I do get new ones, there will be no point in getting two as the hearing in the left ear is now virtually gone and useless even with a hearing aid - despite what I said shortly after the op about the hearing having been preserved. It's so marginal it's not worth worrying about. The CI takes care of it anyway.

Oh, and I can wear my cap(s). Not a problem after all! Sorry for the cap haters :)

1 comment:

Pleased to hear if you have any comment...keep it clean, I will not be monitoring things.