Thursday, April 17, 2014

Keepin' on truckin'

... back and forth, back and forth to UMC. It all adds up, all those fares that you otherwise wouldn't be paying for. But again, grateful to have been given my CI, especially as the full bill notifications came in for... wait for it... €47K and €25K or thereabouts. So, honestly not moaning!

Since my last 'adjustment's were made, everything has sounded pretty darned good. Birds even better than before, and I thought it terrific first day already. Now, a certain someone said it wouldn't bother her if she never heard a bird again in her life, but ... well, that's not what it's about. The fact I can hear birdsong, which is actually really lovely, means I'm picking up higher sounds. Therefore speech is more accessible to me which is really the main reason for hoping on improved hearing eh? Well, to me it is.
I read once that humans actually do rely on the sound of birds because when you don't hear them (when you otherwise should - and you're not deaf) there is something badly wrong... like a storm coming, that kind of thing. I'm sure old time miners were on the alert for no birdsong from their wee canaries as it was then probably already dead from escaping gas, giving them a (pretty minimal but still) chance to escape. Poor wee canaries eh?

Music? Still working on that as I do notice differences, (not always improvements) so it's not great as yet. I've read that it's a good idea to listen to the music of individual instruments - only piano or only violin, instead of a band, or orchestra - to train your brain to recognise things better. Don't know if I'll go that far actually but good to know there is a method for it.

Have been at a scheduled 'CI Day' in Breda recently too. Interesting talks given by each of the three CI manufacturers (Med-El, Cochlear and Advanced Bionics), basically for 'interested parties' and no 'hard sell'. They are all much of a muchness, but also, all different, if you get my meaning. Pros and cons to each model and in my opinion best chosen by your surgeon as he'll know which would suit your type of hearing loss better as well as have more experience. Of course you have to trust the surgeon not to be 'on the take' hahaha, but I'm pretty sure that is definitely not the case here in NL. I'm very happy with my Med-El Rondo in any case.

There was also the opportunity to learn 'What's in my briefcase' from each of the manufacturer's too, and as there was only me and one other person with a Med-El, (and only me with the Rondo), we had practically a private consultation explaining all the bits and bobs (cables etc) that come in the snazzy briefcase with the CI. I also met up with a woman I met before via another CI wearer and she had since had her op and was to be switched on in a few days... which has since happened, much to her joy so far. Her and her man gave me a lift to Utrecht station, which was half the way home, and we had a fine old blether in the back of the car.

I have realised I am lucky to have 2 different sets of mics still in my possession from an old employer that, while a bit old are still in good working order and can be coupled to my CI in various ways (I now know since the talks!). Dead handy, if a bit of a rigmarole. One model (the Comfort Contego) I used for Tai Chi last week. I gave the mic to the teacher who clipped it to her t-shirt. I wore the receiver and audio loop around my neck and it made a huge difference to how much I could hear directly in my CI and HA. Who knew she'd been calling out the names of each exercise every time? Not me hahaha! Since the CI, I at least heard that she was speaking (quietly) but just thought it was 'next, next, next'... turns out it's the names. So aye, CI still needs a helping hand and glad to be able to use that mic.!

The other one (Oticon Lexis which was apparently changed to be called the Amigo T10 and is in any case no longer available for some reason) I discovered has a connector that fits to the Opus2 behind-the-ear model CI. I can then plug the Lexis via a separate cable into the computer and this then works for listening on Skype etc., directly to my CI. But then it's still only one ear, same as when I use the streamer to my HA... so hoping to find an adapter jack that will take two input jacks. Getting there eh? Neither of these models have bluetooth so it's all cables and bollix but they were state of the art and not inexpensive when I got them and are still very useful. Hmmm.... streamer is bluetooth so perhaps i should work out how to get that going via the laptop. I know it works bluetooth via my phone but have never managed to do it on the computer for some reason and just use the cable. It's getting complicated to say the least!

My latest trip to UMC was once again for the speech therapist. We've been trying out using the phone with the CI. I'm a bit reluctant to use the phone still as it's not great (yet?). I can hear, aye, and got probably 80% of the sentences she was reading out from her end, but it was still a strain, and this was with a speech therapist articulating her words and talking slowly. And honestly, the best intentioned caller who even knows very well or has been told/reminded that I am HoH, will of course always begin to articulate their words but... nah... just doesn't last. I'd probably be the same myself so I'm not at all critical, just stating fact. Will be trying how it all goes with phone speaker on next time, on both land line and mobile phones. The comical thing when using a handset though... you have to hold it to the CI, where the mic is, of course, and not your ear. Also on my left hand side, so not what I'd automatically do. And if you move your arm, which is easily done when you have your arm up (think; 'scratching your head mode') you lose contact. Meanwhile I'm sticking to texting!

While waiting for my appointment a man in the waiting room politely asked if I was happy with my BAHA. Now these are similar, but different - they click onto your head, whereas a CI hangs on magnetically (and of course there are other differences). So I proceeded to 'sell' the Rondo to him as well as I could... 'night and day', 'fantastic' (as compared to a HA, which he wore one of), and all things positive to encourage him, as he personally was being considered for one he told me. He came back from his appointment while I was still waiting and he might be taking part in some trial or other... didn't have time to explain it fully but boy they're busy with all sorts there. So that was interesting, and I do think I helped him :)

I make a great advocate for them, me! I should hire myself out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleased to hear if you have any comment...keep it clean, I will not be monitoring things.