Sunday, February 28, 2021

The Miracle of Hearing

I shower first thing usually, but we had the boys over so had first put my HA in and my CI on when I got downstairs, the better to converse with them at breakfast. I left them drawing and of course then took off my HA as can’t shower with it on (and is why I normally shower before even putting my HA, in which I leave in the bathroom).

To my (short-lived) amazement, I heard the ‘tick’ as I lay it on the shelf. Eh? I tapped the washbasin… what?! I can hear!

It was all of one and a half seconds I suppose, but what a wonderful one and a half seconds it was. My hearing has returned! But no, I still had my CI on. I normally wouldn’t until after I’m showered and downstairs, but of course, had been downstairs already, for the boys. Of course I could still hear! I was still switched on, tuned in and of the hearing world, wearing my CI.

Just as well I realised, as you can’t shower with your processor on. I have almost done that before, wondering, as the water heated up, how come it was all so noisy today. Luckily I hadn’t yet stood under the showerhead.

The day is approaching when even our processors will be implanted. Not sure how they’ll charge them, but have every confidence it will happen, and I’ll be first in the queue for it. Until then, we shower, we swim, we sauna and generally we sleep (although not because of water) without them.

Always grateful, always, still, in awe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleased to hear if you have any comment...keep it clean, I will not be monitoring things.